Projekts “Izglītības satura plānošanas modeļi jaunā satura ieviešanas kontekstā”
Walks About Riga – Atklātā stunda
a 7. klasē “ PASTAIGAS PA VECRĪGU ’’
Stundas mērķis : Iepazīties ar kultūras un vēstures mantojumu dzimtajā pilsētā, attīstīt patriotiskas jūtas.
Uzdevumi : *uzzīnat un nostiprināt jaunu leksiku;
*monologas runas tehnikas attīstība;
*darbs grupā, tūrisma maršruta sastādīšana;
*apzināt mīlestību pret dzimto pilsētu
CLIL lesson “ WALKS ABOUT OLD RIGA ’’
The aim of the lesson: Getting acquainted with cultural and historical heritage of the native city and developing the feeling of patriotism.
Tasks : *learning and mastering new lexics;
*working in groups;
*developing monological speech;
*working out an individual excursion tour about the Old Town;
*making students feel proud of their native city
The procedure of the lesson:
- The students, entering the classroom, are divided into 2 groups at the beginning of the lesson. This division can be done by offering the students sweets of 2 different colours.
- On the desks for each group there is a map of Old Riga, a text about Old Riga (almost all information necessary for the task fulfilment can be found in this text), an envelope with the names of the streets in Latvian and English, an envelope with a letter.
- Using the map of Old Riga the students match the names of the streets in Latvian and in English, find them in the map and if they know, they tell what isor was situated in these streets.
- The students receive a certain name of the street for the group and have to show (act) this name to the other group with the help of pantomime, so that they could guess this name.
- On the board there is a slide show of the main architectural and historical monuments. The task is to identify them in Latvian, Russian and English and give some interesting information about them (the more details, the better).
- The students in the groups represent tourist agencies. They have received letters from their customers asking for an individul excursion tour.The students have to work out a special route about Old Riga based on the information from the letter. The main idea is to give arguments about the choice of places while presenting the tour.
- If the time allows, there are some specific questions making the students scan the text carefully to find details necessary for the answers.
- Self assessment. It is based on the scale of colours. Each student chooses a certain colour for him/herself:
YELLOW – the topic is so interesting, that I would like to learn more !
GREEN – now I can guide an excursion about Old Riga myself.
BLUE – I can tell only about some landmarks(places of interest).
RED – I have learnt much new at the lesson, but I cannot share my knowledge
with others, as I need more practice.
- Drawing conclusions: What have you learnt? What have you managed today?
The List of Street Names :
Teātra iela – Theatre Street
Monētu iela – Coin Street
Zirgu iela – Horse Street
Kalēju iela – Blacksmiths’ Street
Miesnieku iela – Butchers’ Street
Aldaru iela – Brewers’ Street
Tirgoņu iela – Merchants’ Street
Gleznotāju iela – Painters’ Street
Audēju iela – Weavers’ Street
Šķūņu iela – Warehouse Street
Kungu iela – Misters’ Street
Senatnes iela – Ancient Street
Smilšu iela – Sand Street
Kaļķu iela – Limestone Street
Brīvības iela – Freedom Street
The List for the Slide Show :
- The Latvian National Theatre
- Peter’s Church
- The Three ‘Brothers’
- The Blackheads’ House
- The Powder Tower
- The Panoramic View of Old Riga
- The Opera House
- The Riga Castle
- The Dome Cathedral
The letters from the customers for the tourist agencies :
We like history very much. We take photos of architectural monuments, old buildings and beautiful streets. My parents know much about the medieval times and knights. My father is a sailor, and he loves the sea and painting. My brother likes adventures and everything unusual. He is a student of Medical Institute.
I would like to get on top of a very tall building to look at the city from above. I like visiting museums, only if it is possible to do something there, it is boring just to look at the objects.
Also it is great to try national food after a long interesting walk.
When we come to other countries it is great, if we can take par tin some activity or discover something new for us. My husband is interested in history and war time events. I am fond of music and I like everything beautiful.
My children love playing different games, especially when they can put on fancy-dress costumes. My daughter enjoys making something with her own hands. My son is very sporty.
It is always interesting to know how people lived and what they did many years ago.
In the evenings, walking about the town, we usually try local delicious desserts and cakes.
The List of Questions for Details :
1.Why did medieval houses in the town had very small windows? (People had to pay taxes for light. The bigger were the windows, the higher was the tax).
- What was there in the Powder Tower before? (There was a jail and a torture chamber).
- What size was the narrowest street of the old town? (If you stand in the middle of the street, you can touch the walls of the opposite houses).
- What is characteristic of the streets and squares in the old town? (They are paved with cobblestones).
- How old is the city where you live? (It is more than 800 years old, it was founded in 1201).
- Who came to the mouth of the river Daugava in 1201? (The Bishop Albert with monks, knights, merchants, craftsmen).
- Which is the most famous monument in Latvia? (The Liberty Monument)
- Where does the Latvian President live and work? (In the Riga Castle)
The material of the lesson has been worked out by Ņ.Muhortova